Saltar para o conte├║do principal
menu icon close menu icon
PT
Heritage
Chapel of S. António
arrow left

The Chapel of S. António, in Tomar, was built between 1953 and 1955; it was blessed and opened to the faithful precisely on the day of its patron saint, on June 13, 1955 - as displayed on the commemorative plaque found inside the chapel, evocative of this day. However, it should be noted that this Chapel contains architectural elements from a Renaissance chapel five centuries older, the Chapel of Saint Anthony’s Couple.

This small 15th century chapel was built in 1459, in the place of Saint Anthony’s Couple (Casal de Santo António), located near the Pegões Aqueduct, about three kilometers from the city of Tomar.

This simple Chapel ended up being abandoned for a long time; at some point, it was even transformed into a structure to support agricultural activity, used as a granary and cellar.

The rather positive aspect is that all of its most striking architectural elements were respectfully preserved, which led to the decision, in 1942, of carefully dismantling its stones, with the view of reconstructing the Chapel in another more central and accessible location. This operation took place under the auspices of the Union of the Friends of the Monuments of the Order of Christ.

This simple Chapel ended up being abandoned for a long time; at some point, it was even transformed into a structure to support agricultural activity, used as a granary and cellar.

The rather positive aspect is that all of its most striking architectural elements were respectfully preserved, which led to the decision, in 1942, of carefully dismantling its stones, with the view of reconstructing the Chapel in another more central and accessible location. This operation took place under the auspices of the Union of the Friends of the Monuments of the Order of Christ.

 

Opening hours:

Temporarily closed.

 

 

Address:
Avenida Dr. Egas Moniz
2300-436 Tomar
39.614152077002664, -8.38231086730957